Urban Climate professionals trained through this course are prepared to plan climate resilient cities and chalk propositions on preparedness required for the city and citizens during climate related hazards. They are thorough with basics of adaptation, mitigation and vulnerability assessment techniques required for city development. They have strong understanding of policy framework and financing required for implementation of resilient cities.
Module 1 : Climate Change Basics
This unit is about understanding climate change science and its consequences.
It deals with climate change more in relevance to urban areas.
• Phenomenon of Climate Change and Global Warming: An alarming Environmental Issue
• International Environmental treaties for Carbon Emission Reduction (Kyoto, UNFCCC, COP 21, IPCC)
• Urbanization Process and Cities as Contributors to climate change (Urban Mobility, Infrastructure etc)
• Introduction to integrating Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation in Urban Planning
• Urban Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation: Case studies
Module 2 : Climate Change Adaption and Resilience
This unit is about developing design capability to respond to local climate and site conditions to minimize GHG emissions without compromising on human comfort.
Mitigation and Adaptation for Climate Change
Effects of Climate Change on cities (Urban Flooding, Energy and water scarcity)
Overview of vulnerability assessment & techniques for developing adaptation and resilience options.